Dover Castle A large wooden frigate-built vessel of 1008 tons, Dover Castle was originally one of the Black Ball Line of ships. Owned at the time by R and H Green, she traded to Australia between 1858 and 1871. In 1872 she was purchased by Shaw Savill & Co. Ltd and applied to the New Zealand run. One voyage to Auckland in 1875 resulted in a period at the quarantine station on Motuihe Island. Having completed a number of voyages to New Zealand, Dover Castle sailed from Auckland to China in 1875 where she was sold and renamed Kem. She later stranded off the coast of Norway and was broken up.