Reports and Web Page Generation
Reports and Charts
All reports are saved to file in RTF (Rich Text Format), and can be opened by most word processor programs. Within the word processor, any desired cosmetic changes can be made (maybe additional pictures need to be added, repositioned, etc), a "master" names index may be generated, and then the word processor's print command can be used to print the reports. "Book" style reports are also supported.
You can configure ScionPC to automatically view any generated report in a report viewer or word processor of your choice.
ScionPC provides flexible control over the format of all reports, with the ability to select such things as fonts and colour schemes. An unlimited number of user-defined report styles can be saved for later recall.
The types of reports and charts available include -
- Personal Index. In Alphabetical (by preferred name) order, Numerical (by Personal ID) order, Birth Date order, or Death Date order.
- Family Index. In Numerical (by Family ID) order, Male's name order (alphabetical - by preferred name), Female's name order (alphabetical - by preferred name), or Marriage/Union Date order.
- List of Names. In Alphabetical order or Personal ID order (of the person with the name). Remember that people can have more than one name.
- Personal Summary. For the current person, specified people, or all people. Reports can include pictures. The report style is similar to the Family Group Sheet (see next).
- Family Group Sheet . For the current family, specified families, or all families. Reports can include pictures. Here is a sample Family Group Sheet in PDF format (from my own family). Note that this report has had some data removed to keep it short.
- List of Relatives. A list of (blood) relatives of the currently displayed person.
- Pedigree Chart. A box-style Pedigree Chart for the currently displayed person. Either a single page or a full ancestry (multiple charts/pages) can be selected. Here is a sample Pedigree Chart in PDF format
- Descendant Chart. A Descendant Chart for the currently displayed person. Here is a sample Descendant Chart in PDF format.
- Ahnentafel Chart. For the currently displayed person, reporting on the ancestors of that person. The chart can be in a concise style or narrative style. Here is a sample narrative-style Ahnentafel Chart in PDF format (from my own family).
- Progeny Chart. For the currently displayed person, reporting on the descendants (progeny) of that person. The chart can be in a concise style or narrative style. The numbering system used in the Progeny Charts is a variation on the "Register System (NEHGR)" first used in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, and is closely related to the "Record System (NGS)" developed by the National Genealogical Society. Here is a sample narrative-style Progeny Chart in PDF format (from my own family). Note that this report has had some data removed to keep it short.
- Personal Digests. A very concise report (with one paragraph per person) of people's "life" data in a format similar to Progeny and Ahnentafel reports.
- Chronology Chart. A list of events in chronological order. Reports can include all dates (including qualified and partial dates),
exact dates only, or only events occurring on the same date (good for finding the birth of twins). The "Anniversaries" report lists
events in day-of-month order, and the "Personal Events" report lists all events in chronological order for every person. The
"Person-in-History" report lists personal events along with important historical events.
- Miscellaneous Charts. Including -
- Selected Fact List. Lists of any personal or family fact (optionally restricted to a specified location). For example, a list of all burials at a specified cemetery.
- Related Cause of Death List. Lists the cause of death of all the relatives of the currently displayed person. - useful for exposing genetic predispositions.
- Personal and Family Statistics Report. A report on various personal and family statistics.
- Timeline Chart. This chart plots selected people against time. Timelines can be generated for all the people in the database, a selection of people, or the progeny of a selected person. Here is a sample Timeline Chart in PDF format (from my own family).
- Who/Where/When Report. This report lists all events in chronological order for all or specified people, optionally limited to specific places and/or specific dates.
- Event Places List. This reports all places and the events that occurred in those places.
- Custom Report. If the program doesn't have a report you want, you can create your own Custom Report with the information, people and families that you want.
- Research Reports. Including -
- Start-of-Line List. A list of those people who are at the start of a particular line of descent. That is, people who have no parents. This identifies those people who are likely to be the subject of further research.
- Unlinked People List. A list of those people who are not linked/related to anybody else in the database because they are not a child or partner in any family (and hence have no parents, partners or children). These people are likely to be suspect.
- Privacy Report. A list of those people whose records are marked as "private" along with the families in which they are a partner, and the families in which they are a child. You should respect any requests from people for their information to NOT be published. ScionPC does NOT automatically limit the output of any reports - this is up to the user.
- Filiation (Child Relationship) Report. A list of the parental relationships of people who are a child in two or more families, or are a non-biological child in a single family. Primarily used to "audit" the relationships of children to multiple birth, adoptive, etc parents.
- Multi-Relationship Report. A list of those people with multiple parents (e.g. both birth and adoptive parents) and/or multiple partners. Useful for double-checking the results of any data merging.
- Evidence Report. A report showing the use of evidence (Notes and Sources) either by person or by reference.
- Repositories List. A list of all evidence repositories.
- Attachments List. A list of all personal and family attachments.
- Duplicates List. A list of possible duplicate people in the database.
- Audit Report. A report showing the results of exhaustive checks of the database for errors and inconsistencies.
- Search Report. A report showing the results of a database search. Accessible from the Search dialog.
Web Page Generation
ScionPC can build a complete web site for your database in one simple step. The "site" files can also be used to publish your family information to CD for distribution to others.
All web pages can either use the in-built default format, or can be fully customised through the use of "web templates". These templates are specially-coded HTML pages that are processed by ScionPC to produce web pages conforming to a user style.
The following pages are generated -
Here is a picture of a sample web page. Note that this is a picture of a web-page, not an actual navigable web-page.
- Names Index. A list of all the people in (preferred) name order.
- Evidence Index. A list of notes and sources.
- Albums Index. A list of personal and family picture albums. SPECIAL NOTE: If a Personal or Family Album page already exists, it will never be overwritten. This allows the user to add additional pictures and other material to a Personal or Family Album.
- Personal Pages. Personal pages (and associated notes, sources, and picture albums) for the current person, specified people, or all people. Personal pages can also incorporate links to a person's ancestors and descendants.
- Statistics Page. A page of database statistics, including age at death, child deaths, age at death bar chart, partner's age at marriage, parent's age at birth of children, sex of children, fertility, and number of occurrences of given names and surnames.