KNOCKMOURNE or KNOCKMORE, a parish partly in the barony of BARRYMORE, partly in that of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, but chiefly in that of KINNATALOON, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Tallow, on the road to Rathcormac; containing 3144 inhabitants. It comprises 7514 statute acres, of which 75 are woodland, 250 bog, and the remainder arable land : the soil is good, and there is much limestone and some brown stone. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united at an unknown period, by act of council, to the vicarage of Ballynoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Waterford. The tithes amount to £1070. 12. 9. which is equally divided between the impropriators and the vicar, and the tithes of benefice to £840. 7. 4½. The glebe comprises three acres. The church was rebuilt by a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits in 1813. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district which includes the parishes of Knockmourne, Ballynoe, and Mogealy; and has chapels at Conna, Ballynoe, and Lisnabrint. Here is a private school, in which about 70 children are educated.
Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (London: 1837)
Michael Cronin 2001
Cronin Families of Cork
This page is best viewed on Internet Explorer 4 or better.