KILWATERMOY, a parish in the barony of COSHBRIDE, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. E.) from Tallow, on the river Blackwater; containing 2527 inhabitants. The surface is in general mountainous. The principle seats are Moore Hill, the residence of W. Moore, Esq.; Sapperton, of S. Moore, Esq.; and Headborough, of the Rev. Percy Scott Smyth. These are handsome seats surrounded with plantations and ornamented with the river Bride, over which there is a wooden bridge. Here is also Janeville, the property of A. Keily, Esq. It is a vicarage in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the union with Tallow; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire. The tithes amount to £265. 16. 11. of which £177. 4. 7½. is payable to the impropriator, and £88. 12. 3½. to the vicar. A handsome church was erected about 1831 by a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Knockanore, and contains a chapel. There is a parochial school of 25 children under the superintendence of the vicar, to which Stephen Moore Esq., contributes £30 annually; also a private school of about 35 children. Near the site of the old church is a natural cavern.
Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (London: 1837)
Michael Cronin 2001
Cronin Families of Cork
This page is best viewed on Internet Explorer 4 or better.