This is the line of my great great grandparents William and Hannah BALL/S (nee TURNER)
Descendants of ? Balls
Generation No. 1
1.?1 BALLS He married MARY.
More About MARY:
Burial: 30 July 1809, Attleburough UK
Child of? BALLS and MARY is:
2. i. WILLIAM2 BALLS.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM2 BALLS (?1) He married LYDIA PYMAN 5 January 1806 in Attleburough Norfolk UK. She was born Abt. 1788 in Attleburough Norfolk UK.
Notes for WILLIAM BALLS:
William was 51 when he died
More About WILLIAM BALLS:
Burial: 30 April 1827, East Bradenham UK
Notes for LYDIA PYMAN:
Lydia was baptised on the 20/1/1788 at Attleburough. At the 1851 census in Sutton Kingston on Hull, Lydia was living with her son William and his wife Hannah - she was now Lydia EAGLE as she had remarried a John EAGLE, on the 1st March 1830 at East Bradenham.
Children of WILLIAM BALLS and LYDIA PYMAN are:
i. MARIA3 BALLS, b. Abt. 1807.
More About MARIA BALLS:
Baptism: 25 April 1813, East Bradenham UK
ii. MARY BALLS, b. Abt. 1808, East Bradenham UK.
More About MARY BALLS:
Burial: 27 October 1811, East Bradenham UK
iii. HARRIET BALLS, b. Abt. 1810.
iv. JOHN BALLS, b. Abt. 1815.
Notes for JOHN BALLS:
John was 10mths old when he died
More About JOHN BALLS:
Burial: 16 May 1816, East Bradenham UK
v. JOHN BALLS, b. 6 November 1817.
Notes for JOHN BALLS:
Maybe this John died too as there is another 'John' born later.
3. vi. WILLIAM BALLS, b. 12 November 1818, East Bradenham UK; d. 15 March 1875, Cape Town South Africa.
vii. JOHN BALLS, b. 12 March 1821.
viii. MARY BALLS, b. 1 April 1824.
ix. THOMAS BALLS, b. 29 May 1826.
More About THOMAS BALLS:
Baptism: 31 May 1826, East Bradenham UK
Burial: 1 February 1827, East Bradenham UK
x. SARAH ANNE BALLS, b. 8 April 1829, East Bradebnham UK.
Notes for SARAH ANNE BALLS:
Sarah Anne was 9 mths old when she died
More About SARAH ANNE BALLS:
Burial: 28 December 1829, East Bradenham UK
Generation No. 3
3. WILLIAM3 BALLS (WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 12 November 1818 in East Bradenham UK, and died 15 March 1875 in Cape Town South Africa. He married HANNAH TURNER 18 May 1839 in Bakewell Derbyshire UK, daughter of GEORGE TURNER and ANN BRUNT. She was born 1819 in Bakewell Derbyshire UK, and died 24 March 1891 in Cape Town South Africa.
Notes for WILLIAM BALLS:
William was a servant of Bakewell when he married Hannah who was living with her father when they married.
Later he was a foreman on the Breakwater Dock at Cape Town, Prince Albert was there aged 16, to turn the first sod for the dock on the 17th September 1860. The dock was to take 10 years to complete as it had to be hewn out of rock. William died in South Africa in 1875 aged 55
It would appear that Williams name was BALLS and the 'S' was dropped when the family went to South Africa.
Notes for HANNAH TURNER:
Hannah died at her son George's home in Weltreveden st Cape Town
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM BALLS and HANNAH TURNER:
William and Hannah were married at the Bakewell Parish church. Witnesses were Henry TURNER and Benjamin BRADBURY.
Children of WILLIAM BALLS and HANNAH TURNER are:
4. i. JOHN4 BALL, d. 1875.
ii. ANNE BALL, m. CHRISTOFFEL HENDERSON.
5. iii. GEORGE FREDERICK BALL, b. Hull UK; d. 23 August 1937, Cape Town South Africa.
iv. MARY BALL.
6. v. LYDIA BALL, b. 15 September 1842, Bakewell Derbyshire UK; d. 24 April 1923, Cape Town South Africa.
7. vi. THOMAS BALL, b. 12 December 1846, Hull UK; d. 26 March 1922, Rondebosch SA.
notes for Thomas Thomas served two terms as Mayor of Cape Town.
8. vii. WILLIAM BALL, b. 7 February 1855, Hull UK; d. 21 October 1913, Cape Town South Africa.
Generation No. 4
4. JOHN4 BALL (WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) died 1875.
Child of JOHN BALL is:
i. WILLIAM JOHN5 BALL.
5. GEORGE FREDERICK4 BALL (WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born in Hull UK, and died 23 August 1937 in Cape Town South Africa. He married MARGARET. She was born 25 May 1917.
Notes for GEORGE FREDERICK BALL:
George was a merchant and widower and died at Volks Hospital. He was living at 5 Hillside Rd Tamboerskloof Cape Town when he died
Children of GEORGE BALL and MARGARET are:
i. HERBERT WILLIAM5 BALL.
ii. MABEL BALL.
iii. THOMAS BALL.
Notes for THOMAS BALL:
Thomas lived at Scholts Rd Three Anchor Bay and was the sole heir of Thomas's estate.
iv. DOROTHEA BALL.
v. EDWARD GEORGE BALL.
6. LYDIA4 BALL (WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 15 September 1842 in Bakewell Derbyshire UK, and died 24 April 1923 in Cape Town South Africa. She married JOHN BENNETT 8 November 1864 in St Georges Cathedral Cape Town South Africa, son of DAVID BENNETT and SARAH BROOM. He was born Abt. 1840 in Clopton England, and died 6 April 1925 in Cape Town South Africa.
More About LYDIA BALL:
Burial: St Georges Mowbray
Notes for JOHN BENNETT:
The South African records show John as being born 15/1/1841
Dying 1925 aged 84 yrs and 2 months?
John a farm labourer, and his brother Joseph occupation unknown, aged 21 and 18 respectively went to South Africa on the 'John Vanner'. John was headed for the Hon. Henry Barrington in Knysna, presumably to work for him.
More About JOHN BENNETT:
Baptism: 18 April 1840, Clopton UK
Marriage Notes for LYDIA BALL and JOHN BENNETT:
John arrived in South Africa in 1862
Children of LYDIA BALL and JOHN BENNETT are:
9. i. JOHN DAVID5 BENNETT, b. Cape Town South Africa; d. 16 May 1933.
ii. HANNAH MARIA BENNETT.
iii. HARRIET BENNETT.
iv. ALICE BENNETT.
10. v. ANNIE NITA BENNETT. d. 1950
11. vi. MARY ANN BENNETT. d. 1950
12. vii. EMILY BENNETT, d. 1953.
13. viii. ROBERT BENNETT, b. 31 March 1880, See Notes; d. 3 October 1957, Wellington NZ.
7. THOMAS4 BALL (WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 12 December 1846 in Hull UK, and died 26 March 1922 in Rondebosch SA. He married (1) LOUISA ELIZABETH WILSON, daughter of JOHN WILSON and ELIZA. She was born 24 August 1850 in Lincolnshire UK. He married (2) EMILY JOANNA DUNKLEY. She died 5 April 1888.
Notes for THOMAS BALL:
Thomas was born at 5 Hood St Groves Hull and died in South Africa
His Death Notice was signed at Rosebank by Arthur his son.
Thomas Ball Esquire CMG
Children of THOMAS BALL and EMILY DUNKLEY are:
i. ARTHUR JOHN5 BALL.
ii. AMELIA BALL, m. JOHN WIGHTMAN STIRLING.
Notes for AMELIA BALL:
Amelia was also known as Amy Hanna
Notes for JOHN WIGHTMAN STIRLING:
John and Amy (Amelia) lived at Qachus Nek via Matatiele
iii. WALTER EDWARD BALL.
14. iv. MARY JANE BALL.
8. WILLIAM4 BALL (WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 7 February 1855 in Hull UK, and died 21 October 1913 in Cape Town South Africa. He married ELEANOR GOODMAN.
Notes for WILLIAM BALL:
William was born at 3 Spittle St Groves Hull and died at Weltevreden St Cape Town, he was a grocer at Grahamstown
Children of WILLIAM BALL and ELEANOR GOODMAN are:
i. ALBERT G5 BALL.
ii. ALFRED BALL.
iii. ETHEL BALL.
iv. GERTRUDE BALL.
Notes for GERTRUDE BALL:
Gertrude was still a minor when her father died
Generation No. 5
9. JOHN DAVID5 BENNETT (LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born in Cape Town South Africa, and died 16 May 1933. He married ANNIE ELISABETH JOHNSON.
Child of JOHN BENNETT and ANNIE JOHNSON is:
15. i. HARRIET ELISABETH6 BENNETT, d. 24 November 1969, Cape Town, South Africa.
10. ANNIE NITA5 BENNETT (LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) She married EVARS MUSGRAVE.
Child of ANNIE BENNETT and EVARS MUSGRAVE is:
i. EVARS6 MUSGRAVE, b. Abt. 1901; d. 19 May 1918, Reigate UK.
Notes for EVARS MUSGRAVE:
Evars Jnr was buried in the Reigate cenetery and his parents ashes were taken from South Africa to the UK and placed in his grave with him when they died in the 1940's. Evars died aged 17 years of an 'Ulcerated Larynx'.
11. MARY ANN5 BENNETT (LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) She married ALGIN HAZELWOOD, son of JOSEPH HAZELWOOD and ELIZABETH DACRE. He was born 1869, and died 1913 in South Africa.
Notes for MARY ANN BENNETT:
What a sad life Mary Ann had her husband died in 1913, her son Reginald aged 22 years in 1920 and her daughter Nita aged 14 years in 1922. She was to join the Community for the Resurrection at Grahamstown South Africa as Sister Ann Mary and died there on the 16th April 1950.
Children of MARY BENNETT and ALGIN HAZELWOOD are:
i. REGINALD6 HAZELWOOD, b. 1900; d. 12 December 1922, Mowbray South Africa.
Notes for REGINALD HAZELWOOD:
Reginald, a teacher, was born at Mowbray Cape Town
ii. NITA MARY HAZELWOOD, b. 1906; d. 5 August 1920, Krugersdorp South Africa.
12. EMILY5 BENNETT (LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) died 1953. She married GEORGE HARDIE. He died 1953.
Children of EMILY BENNETT and GEORGE HARDIE are:
16. i. MARY6 HARDIE.
ii. GEORGE HARDIE.
iii. EMILY HARDIE, m. HUGH GEMMELL.
17. iv. DOROTHY HARDIE.
v. IVY HARDIE, m. WILLIAM LEOPOLD POWELL.
13. ROBERT5 BENNETT (LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 31 March 1880 in See Notes, and died 3 October 1957 in Wellington NZ. He married MABEL TONKS 19 November 1908 in At the home of Mr William Tonks 17 Thompson St Wellington, daughter of WILLIAM TONKS and EMILY PINKER. She was born 6 May 1883 in Wellington NZ, and died 14 October 1973 in Wellington NZ.
Notes for ROBERT BENNETT:
There is great mystery about Roberts place of birth. On his marriage certificate and on his Death cert as well as on the birth cert of his son William John BENNETT, he says he was born in Burnley Lancashire UK. This cannot be proven, but research has shown that he was most certainly baptised on the 31st May 1880, aged 8 weeks, in the Wesleyan Church, Cape Town South Africa.
Notes for MABEL TONKS:
Because Robert refused to talk about himself or his family Mabel was forbidded to marry him - for her sins she was disowned by her family until just before her fathers death in his 90's
Marriage Notes for ROBERT BENNETT and MABEL TONKS:
William Tonks is of course Mabel's father
Children of ROBERT BENNETT and MABEL TONKS are:
i. OLIVE6 BENNETT, b. 19 October 1909, Wellington NZ; d. 10 September 1978.
18. ii. WILLIAM JOHN BENNETT, b. 5 July 1911, Wellington NZ; d. 15 November 1957, Auckland NZ.
iii. STANLEY BENNETT, b. 15 April 1916, Wellington NZ; d. 22 December 1941.
Notes for STANLEY BENNETT:
Stanley was born in 1916 according to his fathers military attestation papers. He died in Egypt during WW2.
19. iv. DOUGLAS BENNETT, b. 18 June 1918; d. 1 November 1945.
20. v. KEITH BENNETT, b. 31 March 1923, Wellington NZ; d. Taupo NZ.
14. MARY JANE5 BALL (THOMAS4, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) She married FREDERICK BOLLEN.
Children of MARY BALL and FREDERICK BOLLEN are:
i. RALPH6 BOLLEN.
ii. ERIC BOLLEN.
iii. HAROLD BOLLEN, b. 30 January 1905.
Generation No. 6
15. HARRIET ELISABETH6 BENNETT (JOHN DAVID5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) died 24 November 1969 in Cape Town, South Africa. She married JOHN EDWARD ALLEN.. He died 20 May 1945 in Port Elisabeth, South Africa.
Children of HARRIET BENNETT and JOHN ALLEN. are:
21. i. IRIS MAY7 ALLEN..
22. ii. EDWARD DAVID GILES ALLEN..
23. iii. KATHLEEN ELIZABETH ALLEN..
24. iv. BEATRICE GRACE DARLING ALLEN..
16. MARY6 HARDIE (EMILY5 BENNETT, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) She married FREDERICK SOINE.
Children of MARY HARDIE and FREDERICK SOINE are:
i. JOHAN FREDERICK ERASMUS7 SOINE.
ii. COLLEEN ANNE SOINE, m. MARC DE VILLE.
iii. GAIL SOINE, m. KENNETH ALEXANDER STEWART.
17. DOROTHY6 HARDIE (EMILY5 BENNETT, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) She married WILLIAM JOHN BLYTHE CUTHBERT.
Children of DOROTHY HARDIE and WILLIAM CUTHBERT are:
i. COLLEEN EMILY7 CUTHBERT, m. NEVILLE ALBERT PATIENCE.
ii. MAUREEN HELLEN CUTHBERT, m. RICHRAD GRENVILLE BLUETT.
iii. DIANNE DOROTHY CUTHBERT, m. STANLEY JAMES MCCUE.
18. WILLIAM JOHN6 BENNETT (ROBERT5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 5 July 1911 in Wellington NZ, and died 15 November 1957 in Auckland NZ. He married MABEL JOY GOLDSMITH, daughter of GEORGE GOLDSMITH and CLARICE HULLETT. She was born 6 February 1914 in Puka Puka, NZ, and died 8 April 1974 in Auckland, NZ.
Children of WILLIAM BENNETT and MABEL GOLDSMITH are:
25. i. ROBERT WILLIAM GEORGE7 BENNETT.
26. ii. DAFANIE BENNETT, b. 19 July 1943, Petone Wellington NZ.
19. DOUGLAS6 BENNETT (ROBERT5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 18 June 1918, and died 1 November 1945.
Children of DOUGLAS BENNETT are:
27. i. MICHAEL7 BENNETT.
ii. DOUGLAS BENNETT.
20. KEITH6 BENNETT (ROBERT5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 31 March 1923 in Wellington NZ, and died in Taupo NZ. He married LOLA BROWN.
Children of KEITH BENNETT and LOLA BROWN are:
i. BARRY7 BENNETT.
ii. SPENCER BENNETT.
Generation No. 7
21. IRIS MAY7 ALLEN. (HARRIET ELISABETH6 BENNETT, JOHN DAVID5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) She married VICTOR INGLIS.
Children of IRIS ALLEN. and VICTOR INGLIS are:
i. VERITY8 INGLIS, m. OSSIE WHITE.
ii. JEANNE INGLIS.
22. EDWARD DAVID GILES7 ALLEN. (HARRIET ELISABETH6 BENNETT, JOHN DAVID5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) He married SHEILA.
Child of EDWARD ALLEN. and SHEILA is:
i. GAIL8 ALLEN..
23. KATHLEEN ELIZABETH7 ALLEN. (HARRIET ELISABETH6 BENNETT, JOHN DAVID5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) She married ROY CRAIG-SMITH.
Children of KATHLEEN ALLEN. and ROY CRAIG-SMITH are:
i. DAVID8 CRAIG-SMITH.
ii. JAMES ANDEW CRAIG-SMITH.
24. BEATRICE GRACE DARLING7 ALLEN. (HARRIET ELISABETH6 BENNETT, JOHN DAVID5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) She married JACK SCARLETT.
Child of BEATRICE ALLEN. and JACK SCARLETT is:
i. JULIA8 SCARLETT.
25. ROBERT WILLIAM GEORGE7 BENNETT (WILLIAM JOHN6, ROBERT5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) He married MARGARET FLEMING.
Children of ROBERT BENNETT and MARGARET FLEMING are:
i. STEPHEN8 BENNETT.
28. ii. GLENN BENNETT.
26. DAFANIE7 BENNETT (WILLIAM JOHN6, ROBERT5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 19 July 1943 in Petone Wellington NZ. She met (1) NIGEL BOWDEN. He was born 19 July 1944 in Wanganui NZ. She met (2) LAYNE PATTEN 2 April 1960 in Northcote Auckland NZ, son of WILLIAM PATTEN and WINIFRED COWARD.
Marriage Notes for DAFANIE BENNETT and NIGEL BOWDEN:
Dafanie Met Nigel Bowden in August of 1990.
Marriage Notes for DAFANIE BENNETT and LAYNE PATTEN:
Separated 26/5/1990 Divorced Layne Patten September 1992
Children of DAFANIE BENNETT and LAYNE PATTEN are:
29. i. DEANE PHILLIP8 PATTEN, b. 17 March 1960.
30. ii. CUSHLA JANENE PATTEN, b. 20 April 1961.
27. MICHAEL7 BENNETT (DOUGLAS6, ROBERT5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) He married DIANE.
Children of MICHAEL BENNETT and DIANE are:
i. JOANNE8 BENNETT.
ii. ROBERT BENNETT.
iii. ROSIE BENNETT.
iv. BEVERLEY BENNETT.
Generation No. 8
28. GLENN8 BENNETT (ROBERT WILLIAM GEORGE7, WILLIAM JOHN6, ROBERT5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) He married DANA.
Notes for GLENN BENNETT:
Note: Glenn has chosen to use the name Josh Scott-Fleming.
Child of GLENN BENNETT and DANA is:
i. ADDISON9 BENNETT.
29. DEANE PHILLIP8 PATTEN (DAFANIE7 BENNETT, WILLIAM JOHN6, ROBERT5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 17 March 1960. He married (1) CAROLYN HILLS. He married (2) DONNA.
Children of DEANE PATTEN and CAROLYN HILLS are:
i. JADE9 PATTEN.
ii. SARAH PATTEN.
iii. KRISTY PATTEN.
iv. ROSANNA PATTEN.
30. CUSHLA JANENE8 PATTEN (DAFANIE7 BENNETT, WILLIAM JOHN6, ROBERT5, LYDIA4 BALL, WILLIAM3 BALLS, WILLIAM2, ?1) was born 20 April 1961.
Children of CUSHLA JANENE PATTEN are:
i. RICHARD LAYNE9 PATTEN, b. 12 February 1983, Takapuna NZ; d. 23 October 2000, Wellsford NZ.
ii. LILLIAN ALICE PATTEN, b. 2 April 1992.
Back to my frontpage Index.