The Spars

When I first picked up the plans I thought I'd never be able to build the main spar for the Falco. It went around and around in my head for a long time until I finally figured out a way that would work for me. I started early one month and about four weeks later it was built. After all the planning there was nothing to it.

How did I elect to do it ?? I started with an 8m long workbench and drew the exact outline of the spar on the table. To that I screwed some angled aluminium to which I could clamp the spar caps as I laminated them. Then I made some special clamps out of wood which had bolts top and bottom at even intervals which would clamp the spar caps evenly while the glue dried. With all this set up I started laminating the spar caps.

Laminating one of the spar caps

This is the top spar cap in my laminating jig. Note the special clamps with the bolts holding it all while the glue dries.
 

Next I needed to taper the sparcaps. For this I made a jig from the same angled alloy I used before and made a slide for my router. This was a very slow task and everything had to be checked many times but the results were very pleasing and the finish the router made was very nice. After a light sand it was ready to be glued together in the jig.

Tapering the spar cap

This is the jig I used to taper the spar caps. The router slide needed stops to prevent the cutter from hitting the alloy.... I learnt the hard way !!!

 

The jig I used to glue it all together was my 8m long table with the alloy screwed back in place. While acuracy was important, it was certainly the easiest part of the whole spar building process.

The completed spar prior to final closure

After tapering in both directions and gluing on the rear shearweb, This was the result. Very satisfying.

 

Next I need to build something that looks like it belongs to an aeroplane.... The Tail.