The Daily Grind

Vol.V No.1 APRIL/MAY, 2008

  

  

  

  

  

 New Zealand Organ Manufactory

Workshop

Testimonials

Press Excerpts

List of Tunings

List of Contracts

Items for sale

Bi-monthly newsletter

 

Dr Ron Newton

Organa Cantuariensia

Thesis

 

New Zealand Organ Museum

 

Oamaru's Historic Quarter

 

  

After returning to Oamaru following the Easter tuning round we turned our attention to the repair of the bottom octave of the zinc Pedal Open Diapason 16ft pipes for Oamaru Basilica and, along with the main 1898 reservoir, lifting them up into the gallery.

  

Work began in May on the restoration of the N.T. Pearce pipe organ in St. James' Union church, Thames.  Pearce and his son installed the instrument in the Methodist church in June and July 1921, one of four built by them in the early 1920s.  The others were Gladstone Anglican in Invercargill (opened 9 February 1922), Tai Tapu Methodist (9 June 1922) and Invercargill Baptist (8 May 1923).  This last replaced their 1911 organ partially destroyed by fire, and is now in the New Zealand Organ Museum in Oamaru. The Thames organ was opened 16 July 1921.